Why Scholes left

Last updated : 17 March 2019 By Dave Moore

Since the resignation of Paul Scholes as Oldham Athletic manager, certain stories are emerging as to the current state of the club. The main reason for the resignation was the persistent meddling of the owner but other worrying stories such as team buses that did not turn up, bailiffs turning up Boundary Park due to non payment of the gas bill, players having to was their own kit and the owner trying to influence team selection have also risen. Scholes has suggested that a mole was in his team and he summoned the squad to tell them that any leaking of team news back to Lemsagam would not be tolerated and said, “If I find out who it is, you will never play for me again.” Scholes had also received emails from the owner's brother Mohamed, the Latics' sporting director, telling him which players he should play. Another such story was that one player was told to stay away from training and Scholes was not even informed.

On loan defender Alex Iacovitti, a player who didn't play under Scholes, was also given a new deal, along with about another dozen players, without Scholes's knowledge. When the squad turned up at Boundary Park for the Bury away game the team bus did not show up and another one had to be ordered at the last minute. Some bills have been reported as not being paid for two years. Even Scholes made a joke at one of the press conferences when he said he was going to get a coffee from the machine 'unless it's been repossessed.' The pitch has been described as a quagmire due to lack of investment making the passing game almost impossible to play.

The owner Abdallah Lemsagam commented, “I am disappointed by Paul’s decision to resign and surprised by the reasons he has given in his statement. Both myself and the staff at the club gave Paul all the support and autonomy that he asked for. I personally was always supportive of any decisions Paul made or consulted me on, reassuring him that he was the man in charge. He gave no opportunity or indications that he needed to address any issues at all… I was very surprised as he simply resigned by text on Wednesday afternoon.”