The Bobby Johnston Competition
Latics Mad "Bobby Johnston : The Passing of an Age" Competition
How would you like to win a signed copy of John Leigh's new book "Bobby Johnston : The Passing of an Age"? Listed below are 21 sporting questions, mainly about Oldham Athletic but not exclusively. E-mail the answers to the questions to firstname.lastname@example.org (or click the e-mail link) as soon as you have them as speed is of the essence. The subject title of the e-mail must be "Bobby Johnston Competition". Good luck.
1) Editors and employees of Oldham Athletic Mad, Oldham Athletic AFC, or their direct family members, are ineligible to enter
2) All entries must be received by 5th. April 2007
3) Subject title of e-mail must be "Bobby Johnston Competition"
4) The winner will be the first person to submit all the correct answers to the questions
5) In the event that not one person answers all the questions correctly, the winner will be the first person to submit the most correct answers the quickest
6) The winner will be notified by e-mail and his/her entry/result will be published as a news article on the Oldham Athletic Mad website
7) All entries must include name, address and postcode
The new release is priced at just £14.99, and is now available from any major bookshop, or online at Breedon Books Publishing .
Here are the questions - and good luck!
1) Who was the first ever player to score in successive FA Cup finals?
2) Which former Latics player used to live on the Hattersley estate and caught the bus to and from Boundary Park?
3) Who was the first Latics player to be involved in a £1m transfer?
4) Athletic's all time league appearance record is held by a player who also appeared for three US teams. Who is the player and which three US teams did he play for?
5) Which 45rpm record was recorded about the Latics all time goalscorer?
6) Which former Latics player married the widow of another former Latics player?
7) Leading goalscorer Roger Palmer was presented with a momento for scoring his 100th. goal. Where was it scored and what was he given?
8) Oldham Athletic first entered league football to the detriment of another team. Name that team?
9) One of the first International teams ever to visit Boundary Park occured around 1960. Who was the team?
10) A relatively 'big' footballing name visited Boundary Park for a mid-week Lancashire Senior Cup tie against Everton around 1962. Who was he?
11) The Littlewoods Cup Final against Forest at Wembley was given a unique nickname because of the non-rivalry between the fans. What nickname was it?
12) Which staff member of the Latics was an England coach?
13) Where did Athletic's record run of league wins end and what was the score?
14) What will be best remembered to Latics fans as the St. Valentines Day massacre?
15) Where was the first ever Sunday football league game played and which teams were involved?
16) What was unusual about the referee in the 1990 FA Cup semi-final with Manchester United?
17) Which Premiership team did Oldham beat four times out of six meetings in the space of three seasons?
18) Name the English club which begins with seven consecutive consonants?
19) Who was the last player, whilst playing in the Third Division of the Football League, to captain England?"
20) Give the nickname of the Chaddy End legend who sadly passed away in 1994?
21) Athletic won at Nottingham Forest in the third round of the FA Cup, but Forest got knocked out of the FA Cup at the quarter finals stages in the same year. What happened?
Oldham Athletic Mad wishes you all the best and good luck.