Kettering Town 3 Oldham Athletic 4

Last updated : 12 November 2006 By The Chairman
It was never going to be an easy game as the Latics visited Kettering Town in a game that was a cup final for the home side. In the first half Kettering started well enough but the visitors gradually got on top and caused several problems with some inventive wing play. One incident was amazing and should have seen the Latics take the lead. The ball was in the box for a long period of time but no-one could put the finishing touch to it. The loss of Charlton after only seven minutes did not help the cause of the Latics and Lomax was having a torrid old time trying to keep the Poppies at bay. It was looking like a 0-0 first half until a super screamer from debutant Sean Gregan sailed into the top corner.

The second half started badly with Will Haining having to be replaced by Trotman as early as the 48th. minute and the patched up defence started to struggle. Gregan had to take contol and his allies were basically three young kids whom he had only just met. Kettering deservedly pulled back a goal after some shoddy marking but soon after Paul Warne was rewarded for his hard work with a goal after a stumble from Musselwhite allowed him to knock the ball over the line. The Latics looked to have the game all over when a good header from Trotman put them 1-3 ahead but the defence went absent soon after and allowed the Poppies a gift of a goal to give the home side a lifeline.

More pushing and prodding by the home side resulted in another equaliser just six minutes from time after poor defending had allowed a looping header to beat Les Pogliacomi. With the game heading for a replay Chris Hall (pictured) who had been on as subsitute for Chris Porter won the game in the last minute as he was left unmarked to finish off a delightfully floated Warne cross at the back post. It was game, set and match by that stage. The travelling army of Latics fans breathed a sigh of relief and left Kettering wondering what might have been. Roll on a good draw in the second round.